Thursday, January 22, 2009

Things I failed to consider

As I entered the water in scuba gear for the first time at the exotic Sand Hollow Aquatic Center it quickly became apparent that there were several things I had failed to consider:

1) I have long hair.

When one swims laps one's long hair stays back, or can be swished back with a good dunk. When one sits at the bottom of a pool one's long hair will find its way around EVERY tube, every gadget, your mask, your breathing regulator... I finally understand the saying, "I can't think with all this hair."

Fortunately half my hair was ripped out and is likely still stuck to the equipment, so there'll be much less to worry about next time.

2) I am not known for my coordination.

What happens when you take a clutzy person who has NEVER even snorkeled and strap a huge tank to her back with various tubes and nozzles, then add FINS? I assure you it is not pretty. And remember that we strapped this stuff on WHILE FLOATING IN THE POOL. REALLY not pretty.

And there are no other beginners to look stupid with, so I have no way to gauge how poorly I'm doing. And Sr. Zen never gives an indication of how things are going. He just patiently soldiers on, helping me.

3) I might know someone at the pool.

Yup, you guessed it. Former student working at the pool that night. My image is ruined. I might as well sell the business skirts and jackets. I wonder if she is secretly selling compromising pix of me on the internet.

Sigh. Maybe I should have stuck with snorkeling...

No comments:

Post a Comment